Do you experience arthritis in your feet? Find out how to manage your symptoms.
Do your feet ache throughout the day? Do you find it difficult to move around with pain, let alone go about your daily activities? If you’ve been diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the feet and ankles, then chances are good you are looking for the best ways to manage your symptoms. Our Clinton, Olney, Silver Spring and Kensington, MD, podiatrists have some answers that may help you.
What are the symptoms of osteoarthritis in the feet and ankles?
Common symptoms include:
- Pain or tenderness
- Difficulty bearing weight or pain when walking
- Joint stiffness or swelling in the feet or ankles
If you haven’t yet been diagnosed with arthritis and you notice any of these symptoms then you need to visit one of our Clinton, Olney, Silver Spring or Kensington, MD, foot doctors at once.
What are some ways to treat arthritis pain?
Fortunately, there are many options when it comes to managing your arthritis symptoms. The first line of defense is non-surgical and non-invasive. These options include:
- Bracing the foot or ankle to provide additional support for the joints
- Taking over-the-counter or prescription pain relievers and anti-inflammatories
- Wearing padding or arch support
- Custom shoes and/or custom orthotics
- Physical therapy and strengthening exercises
- Losing weight if overweight or obese
For those suffering from arthritis, one of the most important parts of properly caring for your feet and ankles is to make sure you are wearing the proper footwear. If you aren’t sure what constitutes good footwear, here are some suggestions:
- You want to only wear shoes with rubber soles, as they will provide the cushioning your feet and joints need.
- Shoes need to fit properly. This may seem like a no-brainer but you can’t imagine how many people wear tight-fitted shoes that bunch toes up and put too much pressure on the joints.
- You want shoes that offer enough padding and support. This usually means staying away from flip-flops or slip-on shoes.
Don’t let arthritis dictate your day-to-day life. Isn’t it time you fought back? Here at Family Foot and Ankle Associates of Maryland in Clinton, Olney, Silver Spring and Kensington, MD, we pride ourselves on offering the very best in foot care so that you can live a pain-free life.