Suffering from heel pain lately? A common problem that happens when your heel is placed under too much stress, heel pain can be caused by wearing ill-fitting footwear, being overweight, or playing sports. Fortunately, here at Family Foot & Ankle Associates of Maryland in Olney, Camp Springs/Clinton, Kensington, or Silver Spring, MD, offers treatments for heel pain. Read on to learn how we can treat your condition!
1. Injections- If you have severe or chronic heel pain, your podiatrist may recommend cortisone injections into the heel. Cortisone injections will normally not be used as a first-line treatment, and you will usually have to have further tests, such as imaging, to confirm your specific diagnosis.
2. Medication- You may wish to take painkillers to help ease the pain. Sometimes, over-the-counter medicines such as ibuprofen or naproxen can be helpful. Topical pain medicines are also available in lotion, cream, and gel form. They're applied to the skin and penetrate inward to relieve pain. Check with your podiatrist before starting any new medication.
3. Night Splints- Your podiatric doctor may recommend that you purchase a night splint to you as you sleep. A night splint is a special device that stretches the plantar fascia and Achilles tendon while you sleep. Night splints are effective for relieving morning pain from heel spurs and plantar fasciitis.
4. Shoe Inserts- Your podiatric doctor can prescribe specially-designed foot orthoses (shoe inserts) to cushion your heels, support your feet, and take the strain from your plantar fascia. Shoe inserts are often effective in relieving heel pain. They work best if they are in your shoes all the time.
5. Stretches- There's a lot you can do to ease your pain and speed up the healing process. Your healthcare provider may prescribe stretching exercises to treat your heel pain. Research has shown that stretching eases foot pain and reduces swelling. Stretches are easy to do and should be done every day to keep pain at bay.
Need Relief? Call one of our Offices in Olney, Silver Spring, Camp Springs/Clinton, and Kensington Today
Don’t let heel pain control you. Take charge of your life today! If you're looking for a podiatrist, call one of Family Foot & Ankle Associates of Maryland's offices today to make an appointment:
- Olney- 301-924-5044
- Silver Spring- 301-439-0300
- Camp Springs/Clinton- 301-868-7670