Heel pain can range from annoying to debilitating, depending on its cause. Fortunately, in some cases, orthotics can relieve and prevent heel pain. Dr. Marc Goldberg, Dr. Adam B. Lowy, and Dr. Michael Frank are foot care specialists at Family Foot & Ankle Associates of Maryland in Olney, Camp Springs/Clinton, Silver Spring, and Kensington, MD—they specialize in orthotic devices and can treat your heel pain.
What Causes Heel Pain?
Heel pain is a very common issue with a number of causes, including direct injury to the heel or conditions that affect the surrounding tendons. Some of the most common causes of heel pain include:
- Plantar fasciitis: Damage to the tissue that connects the heel to the toes
- Bursitis: Inflammation of the fluid-filled sacs surrounding the heel joint
- Achilles tendonitis: Damage to the tendon that connects the heel to the calf
- Stress fractures: Common in athletes or long-distance runners
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome: A trapped nerve at the back of the foot
- Heel pad bruise: Caused by overuse or injury
How Orthotics Can Help Your Heel Pain
Orthotics can help patients in the following ways:
- Gain extra support for your feet and ankles
- Ease the pain of many heel conditions
- Position your foot correctly
- Distribute the weight of your body evenly
- Help alleviate lower back pain when standing
Don’t ignore your heel pain. After all, if you don’t receive treatment, it could cause problems standing or walking. Talk to your podiatrist about how orthotics may help you.
If you live in Olney, Camp Springs/Clinton, Silver Spring, or Kensington, MD, and you would like to find out more about pediatric foot care, contact Family Foot & Ankle Associates of Maryland today:
- Olney - (301) 924-5044
- Camp Springs/Clinton - (301) 868-7670
- Silver Spring - (301) 439-0300
- Kensington - (301) 942-8110