Are you having to deal with painful ingrown nails? Your podiatrist, Dr. Marc Goldberg of Family Foot & Ankle Associates of Maryland in Olney, Camp Springs/Clinton, Silver Spring, and Kensington, MD, provides his patients with the necessary preventative measures and treatment options to cure this invasive condition.
What's an ingrown toenail?
An ingrown toenail is when the toenail pierces the skin. This causes pain, redness, and swelling, most likely on the big toe. Some common causes of ingrown toenails are:
- Trauma, like stubbing your toe
- Wearing tight shoes
- Cutting toenails too short
- Cutting toenails at an angle, instead of straight across
Preventing Ingrown Toenails
- Trim your toenails straight across
- Visit your podiatrist if you have a condition that causes poor blood flow to your feet.
- Keep toenails at a moderate length because long toenails may pierce skin if there's too much pressure caused by shoes.
- Wear shoes that fit properly to prevent nerve damage to your feet and avoid steel-toed shoes.
- Check your feet on a regular basis, especially if you have diabetes.
- Soak your feet in warm water for 15 to 20 minutes three to four times a day to reduces swelling.
- Place cotton under the ingrown edge to help the nail grow above the skin edge.
- Apply antibiotic cream on the tender area and bandage the toe.
- Choose comfortable footwear, like open-toe sandals, until your toe heals.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as Tylenol.
Treatment Options in Olney, Camp Springs/Clinton, Silver Spring, and Kensington, MD
Your podiatrist may need to perform any of the following if home remedies don't work.
- Lifting the nail
- Partially removing the nail
- Removing the nail and tissue
Dr. Marc Goldberg of Family Foot & Ankle Associates of Maryland in Olney, Camp Springs/Clinton, Silver Spring, and Kensington, MD, can help treat ingrown toenails. Just call him at any of the following locations:
- Olney: (301) 924-5044
- Camp Springs: (301) 868-7670
- Silver Spring: (301) 439-0300
- Kensington: (301) 868-7670