How your podiatrists in Kensington, MD, can help you heal fast
Keeping your ankles in top condition is important; your ankles help to carry you through the activities of your life. If you sprain your ankle, you can get stuck on the couch, unable to move around. Fortunately, there are effective treatments to get you back on your feet.
The podiatrists at Family Foot and Ankle Associates of Maryland can help your ankles feel better fast. They have several convenient office locations in Kensington, Olney, Silver Spring, and Camp Springs/Clinton, MD, to help you.
How can you tell if you’ve sprained your ankle? There are some definite signs and symptoms to look for, including:
- Severe aching and throbbing ankle pain
- Ankle bruising and swelling
- A popping sensation in your ankle when you try to move it
- Abnormal, involuntary ankle movement when you put your weight on your ankle
- Instability in your ankle when you stand on it or try to walk around
If you notice any of the signs and symptoms listed above, there are a few things you can do at home to feel better. You can try:
- Elevating your ankle for the first couple of days
- Applying ice to your ankle several times each day
- Taping or wrapping your ankle to give it support
- Resting and keeping weight off of your ankle so it can heal
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or Tylenol
Along with home therapies, you should visit your podiatrist for professional treatment. At Family Foot and Ankle Associates of Maryland they offer several effective treatments to help heal your ankle and get you back on your feet fast. They may recommend:
- Wearing a walking cast or brace to keep your ankle supported
- Using crutches to take the weight off of your ankle while you walk
- Physical therapy to promote flexibility, mobility, and strength
- Surgery in severe cases to repair ligament or tendon damage
Don’t let an ankle sprain keep you on the couch. Your podiatrist can help heal your ankle, so call the podiatrists at Family Foot and Ankle Associates of Maryland, with offices in Kensington, Olney, Silver Spring, and Camp Springs/Clinton, MD. Call now!