By Family Foot and Ankle Associates of Maryland
March 05, 2014
As we all welcomed the year 2014, many of us have made resolutions. If you have not made a resolution, make a resolution to have healthy feet in 2014! By following these tips from our podiatrists in Silver Spring, you can be sure you keep you and your family in step with good foot health. Whether your resolution is to get in shape with a new fitness regimen, vacation more or to simply pamper yourself, there are proper ways to maintain the health of your feet as you maintain your resolutions this year.
Walk Your Way to Happy, Fit Feet
Whether it is for enjoyment, exercise or to simply get from one place to another, why not begin your new year out with a resolution to walk you way to fitness? Walking is an excellent way to begin an exercise program if you have a long history of inactivity, problems with obesity, or who just don’t like strenuous activity. When beginning, you can start off slowly and then gradually increase your speed to maintain a steady pace. A good conditioning program begins with moderation and dedication.
Our Silver Spring podiatrists recommend walking to ease or ward off a number of physically related illnesses. Walking can help you:
- Strengthen your heart and lungs
- Improve circulation
- Prevent heart attacks and strokes
- Reduce obesity and high blood pressure
- Boost your metabolic rate
- Favorably alter your cholesterol
- Improve muscle tone in your legs and abdomen
- Reduce stress and tension
- Reduce arthritis pain
- Stop bone tissue decay
To maintain a healthy and happier lifestyle, walking may be the right choice for you. It is an easy, safe and inexpensive way to exercise and keep up your health. Walking can also be a relaxing and invigorating way to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The results of walking are physically rewarding and add enjoyable years to your life.
Protect Your Feet While Vacationing
This year, take time to yourself. If you are making time to spoil yourself with a vacation to somewhere tropical, make sure to protect your feet to ensure a safe and healthy trip. One perk of a beach-bound vacation is knowing that instead of snow soaking through your shoes, or having your feet feeling toasty in sweaty boots, you can lounge happily with your toes dangling in the warm weather, shoe-free with sand between your toes.
However, even though the weather is beautiful your feet are still vulnerable. Spend your time enjoying the weather and relaxation, rather than in pain by following some simple guidelines:
- Limit walking barefoot
- Wear shoes or flip flops around the pool, to the beach and in the locker room
- Apply sunscreen all over your feet
- Stay hydrated
Pamper Your Feet
While you are enduring the remaining winter months, take time to pamper yourself and your feet. Pampering and grooming your feet helps to promote good foot hygiene and should be done frequently to contribute to not only your foot health, but also to your body’s overall health. Whether you go to a nail salon, or pamper your feet in the comfort of your own home, follow these easy DO’s to keep your feet looking and feeling their best.
- Schedule your pedicure in the morning, as salon foot baths are the cleanest at this time.
- Use a pumice stone, foot tile or exfoliating scrub to eliminate thick, dead skin build-up
- When trimming nails, use a toenail clipper with a straight edge to ensure your toenail is cut straight across
- To smooth nail edges, use an emery board
- Maintain proper moisture balance of your feet’s skin by applying moisturizer to keep soles soft