Orthotics may offer a simple solution if you suffer from foot and ankle pain. Podiatrists Drs. Marc Goldberg, Michael Frank and Adam Lowy prescribe the custom-designed shoe inserts for patients who visit their Olney, Silver Spring, Clinton or Kensington, MD, offices.
What are orthotics?
Unlike over-the-counter shoe inserts, orthotics are specially designed to address your particular foot issue. The inserts support and balance your feet while you wear shoes, eliminating pain caused by arch, heel and other foot problems. Depending on your foot condition, your Olney, Silver Spring, Clinton or Kensington foot doctor may recommend soft, semi-rigid or rigid orthotics.
How can orthotics help you?
Orthotics offer many important benefits, including:
- Less Back, Ankle, Knee and Hip Pain: The alignment of your entire body can be disrupted if your feet aren't properly aligned. When poor alignment is the cause of pain in your knees, hips or back, orthotics can be very helpful.
- Improvement of Flatfoot Symptoms: Flatfoot not only causes pain but might also affect your balance and gait. Adding orthotics to your shoes counteracts the effects of the condition.
- Reduction of Heel Pain: Heel cups, special orthotics that fit in the heel section of your shoe, can help reduce pain caused by plantar fasciitis, arthritis and other conditions that affect the heel.
- Fewer Diabetic Complications: Diabetic ulcers may be more likely to occur due the effects of pressure on your feet. Wearing orthotics reduces pressure, decreasing the risk that you'll develop blisters, sores or ulcers.
- Advantages for Runners and Walkers: Gait problems or biomechanical foot issues can strain your muscles and tendons, resulting in foot, ankle and leg conditions that may sideline you for weeks. Orthotics keep your feet properly positioned and decrease movement, reducing your risk of several conditions, such as tendinitis, bursitis, shin splints and runner's knee.
- Less Fatigue at the End of the Day: Do you spend long hours on your feet every day? Adding custom orthotics to your shoes cushions and supports your feet, decreasing pain and fatigue.
Could you benefit from orthotics? Schedule an appointment with Drs. Marc Goldberg, Michael Frank and Adam Lowy by calling (301) 924-5044 for the Olney, MD, office, (301) 439-0300 for the Silver Spring, MD, office, (301) 868-7670 for the Clinton office or (301) 942-8110 for the Kensington, MD, office.