Are you having to deal with aches and strains while you walk? Are your shoes not helping, no matter how expensive? Well, perhaps you should speak with Dr. Marc Goldberg of Family Foot & Ankle Associates of Maryland, in Kensington Silver Spring, Olney and Camp Springs/Clinton, MD. He provides his patients with orthotics to help treat sore soles.
What are orthotics?
Orthotics are prescription medical devices placed inside shoes to correct bio-mechanical foot issues. In other words, this medical device makes life easier when it comes to simple activities, like walking, standing, or running. They also help manage and navigate painful conditions, diabetic feet, plantar fasciitis, bursitis, flat feet, and arthritis.
Types of Orthotics
Rigid orthotics are functional orthotics made of sturdy materials, like plastic or carbon fiber. People insert rigid orthotics in shoes they use for walking, so something like dress shoes (closed toes and low heels). Functional orthotics ease foot aches, strains and pain in legs, thighs, and the lower back.
Soft orthotics are also referred to as accommodative orthotics that are made from soft compression materials. The soft material acts as a cushion to relieve pressure off uncomfortable or sore spots. This orthotic is best for people suffering from plantar fasciitis or diabetic foot ulcers.
How are orthotics made?
- The podiatrist takes a cast of the foot, then a three-dimensional imprint of the foot.
- Dr. Goldberg makes a 3D mold of the foot by placing the patient's foot in a foam box to capture an imprint or by using a plaster slipper casting.
- Your podiatrist will correct or align the model and determine which type of orthotic best suits your needs.
- The material is then heated and pressed over the cast to create the orthotic.
- After the material cools down, the orthotic is trimmed down and you can make an appointment to try it out.
Who should you call?
Dr. Marc Goldberg of Family Foot & Ankle Associates of Maryland, in Kensington Silver Spring, Olney, and Camp Springs/Clinton, MD, can help treat aching feet by providing custom-made orthotics. Just call him at any of the following locations:
Olney: (301) 924-5044
Camp Springs/Clinton: (301) 868-7670
Silver Spring: (301) 439-0300
Kensington (301) 868-7670