How your podiatrists in Camp Springs/Clinton, Silver Spring, Kensington, and Olney, MD, can help with bunion pain
A bunion is a large, bony bump which appears on the side of your big toe. Painful bunions can impact your day by making it difficult to put on shoes, walk around, and even stand still! Fortunately, there are successful ways to treat bunions and get relief from the pain.
With the help of the podiatrists here at Family Foot and Ankle Associates of Maryland, your feet can feel far better. Read on to learn how, and to find treatment, make an appointment with one of our locations in Camp Springs/Clinton, Silver Spring, Kensington, or Olney, MD.
More about Bunions
Bunions are likely to develop in those with preexisting foot deformities and those who regularly wear shoes that are too narrow, especially high heels. In fact, it’s estimated that over 50% of the women in the United States have had a bunion, according to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
To help prevent bunions, always wear shoes that have plenty of room for your toes. If you do develop a bunion, there are some simple remedies you can try. For small bunions, consider:
- Placing ice on the bunion several times each day
- Placing inserts or padding in your shoes
- Taping your foot to support the bunion
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medication
Large, painful bunions require the help of your podiatrist. Treatment begins with a thorough examination and foot x-rays to determine the amount of bone involvement. Some common treatments for bunions include:
- Removing calluses and corns to reduce friction
- Physical therapy, stretches, and exercises to maintain flexibility
- Custom-fit orthotics, and night splints to maintain alignment
- Surgery to remove the bunion and realign your foot
Bunions can be very painful, but you can get relief. Your podiatrist offers a full range of foot care treatments and solutions to relieve bunion pain. Get some help for your feet by calling the podiatrists here at Family Foot and Ankle Associates of Maryland in Camp Springs/Clinton, Silver Spring, Kensington, and Olney, MD:
- Camp Springs/Clinton, MD—(301) 868-7670
- Silver Spring, MD—(301)439-0300
- Kensington, MD—(301) 942-8110
- Olney, MD—(301) 924-5044